Friday, November 7, 2008

To live in content

"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury; and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable; and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasion, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony." [ William Henry Channing ] I'm struggling with this though this is inspiring. How many of us can live in content and be debt-free? We incur mountains of debts the moment we are born in this world. Many people at my age live in such comfort that we fail to realise that life isn't just about getting the latest bag or mobile to show off. Every time you ask your parents to buy you that branded bag or latest phone, have you thought about whether you really need it? Or have you thought about how difficult it is for them to fork out the money for your luxury on top of the car loan, house loan and daily expenses? I don't know how others are coping, I just want to humble myself a little today by reflecting on my extravagant habits and most importantly, I want to be grateful to my parents who brought me to this world with unconditional love. In spite of our very frequent, recent quarrels, I love you, Dad and Mum. I truly do.

No comments: